the World Urban Forum (Eleventh Session)
Less than 10 days left!
The Eleventh Session of the World Urban Forum (WUF) is getting close! More than 10,000 people are expected in person from 26-30 June in Katowice, Poland and thousands more online, in the hybrid event, which is organized and hosted by UN-Habitat, in cooperation with the Government of Poland.
Strong representation from across the Arab region includes Ministerial, official, expert and academic delegations participating in discussions around a better urban future, achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the city level, tackling climate change challenges, and building back better.
But what is the World Urban Forum?
WUF is the premiere global conference on sustainable urbanization held every two years with the aim of raising awareness around sustainable urbanization, improving the collective knowledge of sustainable urbanization through inclusive open debates, sharing of lessons learned and the exchange of best practices and good policies, and increasing cooperation among stakeholders.
This year WUF11, which comes under the theme “Transforming our cities for a better urban future”, consists of various types of events, including Networking Events, Voices from Cities, SDGs in Action, One UN, Urban Library and Training Events.
Every WUF, the Arab region, which is rapidly urbanizing and majorly engaged in the discussions on sustainable urbanization, contributes immensely through leading sessions adding to the conversations on how to make cities mores sustainable, inclusive and greener. This year is no different, with large participation from the region through the sessions listed below.
UN-Habitat is inviting everyone to register HERE to attend physically or online and be part of the conversation on Transforming Our Cities for a Better Urban Future. Deadline for online registration is 25 June.
You will also be able to follow the live broadcast of some of the sessions on the UN Web TV HERE.
Sessions from the Arab region include:
· SDGs Localization on sub-national-level in the lagged regions within the Egyptian Context – Egypt: Ministry of Local Development. Date, time & more info here.
· Renewal of Urban Planning for a Better Urban Future – Morocco: Ministry of National Territory Planning, Land Planning, Housing and City Policy. Date, time & more info here.
· Reshaping Urban Development Policies in Growing Economies – Egypt: Ministry of Housing. Date, time & more info here.
· Toward New UN-Habitat Stakeholder Engagement – Egypt: Housing and Land Rights Network. Date, time & more info here.
· Sustainable new urban communities that are more resilient to climate change – Egypt: Ministry of Housing. Date, time & more info here.
· Tomorrow’s Habitat, for a better urban future – Morocco: Ministry of National Territory Planning, Land Planning, Housing and City Policy. Date, time & more info here.
· The Right to Housing: Innovative and effective approaches to affordable housing for all – Egypt:Social Housing and Mortgage Finance Fund. Date, time & more info here.
· Meeting demographic imbalance through sustainable urban & economic incentives – Egypt: Ministry of Housing. Date, time & more info here.
· Human Centered Design towards Citizen-Centered and Inclusive Urban Planning and Service Delivery – Palestine: GIZ. Date, time & more info here.
· Impact evaluation for informal settlements development projects – Egypt: Urban Development Fund, Egyptian Cabinet. Date, time & more info here.
· Build Back Better: The Case of the Rmeil Cluster in Beirut – Lebanon: Live Love Lebanon. Date, time & more info here.
· Mudun Jamila (Beautiful Cities): Leveraging Design to improve the built environment quality – Saudi Arabia: Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs and Housing. Date, time & more info here.
· King Salman Charter for Architecture and Urbanism – Saudi Arabia: Architecture and Design Commission. Date, time & more info here.
· Experiences in Urban Recovery in the Arab Region – Saudi Arabia: Saudi Development and Reconstruction Program for Yemen.
· Urban memories & The State of Arab Cities – UN-Habitat Regional Office for Arab States & Institut Paris. Date, time & more info here.
· Sustainable Reconstruction: A Framework Accelerating an Inclusive and Green Recovery – UN-Habitat Regional Office for Arab States & UNDP. Date, time & more info here.
Keep an eye on our website for final details in the countdown to WUF.
For more information, please contact:
Click HERE to register
Follow us on: